The LG V20 is loaded with features that will appeal to a wide range of users including audiophiles, photographers, and average Android users alike. Featuring a 5.7-inch screen with a secondary display, two cameras, and HD audio recording, the V20 is one of the best big-screen Android phones you can buy right now.
In this article, we take a look at some tips and tricks that will get you started with some of the best features found on the V20. Best part is that all of these features are available right out of the box. There is no need to download any additional apps.
LG V20 Tips and Tricks
- Use secondary display to see important info without unlocking your phone
- Use Multi-Window to put two apps side-by-side
- Use wide-angle camera too capture more in a single shot
- Use Gestures to take selfies
- Instantly share your photos after taking them
- Record killer HD audio
- Record sound over top of an existing audio file
- Customize the Home touch buttons to quickly access to your favorite functions
- Turn the screen on or off by double tapping
- Unlock the screen by double tapping
- Encrypt your memory card to protect your private data
- Split the keyboard to text more comfortably in landscape mode
- Easily use the keyboard with one hand
Use secondary display to see important info without unlocking your phone
You can use the second screen on the LG V20 to open your favorite apps and see urgent information, such as current time and notifications, without the need to search for it on the main screen. Not only will this help you save time but the second screen also uses way less battery power, resulting in more usage between charging.
To customize the LG V20 second screen with the apps and info you need, you first have to enable this function by navigating to Settings > Display > Second screen > Show when main screen off. From here, you can configure what should be shown on the second screen and whether to show that information with the main screen on and off. Some of the options available include:
- Display date and time – The current date and time will be shown on the second screen, along with battery life remaining.
- Start Quick Tools – This option allows you to show five icons on the second screen that will launch functions like volume, WiFi, remote control, Bluetooth, and more.
- Start Music player – Shows music controls on the second screen along with the current song information.
Use Multi-Window to put two apps side-by-side
While using an app you can touch and hold the Square home touch button to launch a second app from the recently used list to be shown on the same screen. Just know that not all apps support multi-window, including downloaded apps.
Bonus Tip: You can also initiate multi-window from the overview screen by first tapping the square touch button to bring up the list of recently used apps. Next, touch and hold an app and drag it to the top of the screen to start the app with Multi-Window.
Use wide-angle camera too capture more in a single shot
The LG V20 is equipped with dual camera setup that includes both a 29mm “standard angle” and a 12mm “wide angle” lens. You can use the 12mm lens to take photos or record videos with a wider field of vision than what can be seen with your eyes, allowing you to fit more in a single photo without the need for panorama mode.
Switching between the two lenses in the V20 camera app is extremely easy. All you have to do is tap the appropriate icon near the top center of the screen. When using the front camera the icon shows a single person for the standard angle and multiple people for wide angle. The rear camera icon shows a single tree for the standard angle and multiple trees for wide angle.
Bonus Tip: You can also pinch or spread your fingers on the screen to switch between the standard and wide-angle lens.
Use Gestures to take selfies
You can take selfies with the LG V20 simply by showing your palm and clenching your fist. Three seconds later a photo will be taken. This feature makes taking photos a whole lot easier when holding your phone away from you with one hand.
To use this feature when working with the front camera, tap the Gear icon > Selfie shot > Gesture shot.
Once enabled, make sure that your palm and fist are within the reference line; otherwise, the camera cannot detect them. You should also be aware that this feature might not work when using some of the other camera features.
Bonus Tip: After taking a selfie with the front camera, you can preview the image immediately by placing the screen close to your face. Tap the Gear icon > Gesture view to enable this feature. Only one preview is available after a photo is taken.
Instantly share your photos after taking them
With the LG V20 camera app, you can share a photo or video with an app of your choosing immediately after capture. This is particularly useful for Instagram users and photographers who want to share their photos in real-time.
From the camera app, choose AUTO mode and take a picture. An icon will appear on the screen, showing the app you share to the most. You can swipe the icon down for a list of other apps you can use to share your photos and videos.
Record killer HD audio
The LG V20 comes equipped with a powerful HD audio recording app that allows you to configure settings manually. By optimizing these settings, you can record highly defined audio that is suited for almost any environment.
Launch the audio recorder by tapping the Circle > Tools > HD Audio Recorder. From here, there are three modes to choose from on the second screen:
- Normal – Basic audio recording with no additional settings.
- Concert – Useful for recording audio in a concert or other music events.
- Custom – Allows you to personalize individual settings for audio recording such as gain, low cut filter (LCF), and limiter (LMT). Using the gain setting will change the sensitivity of the microphone, while the Low cut filter can be used to cut out any low pitch noises such as background hum. The limiter prevents clipping of the recorded sound.
You can monitor the audio being recorded by using a connected earpiece. You can also choose to record using a connected microphone by tapping the microphone gear icon, which appears after connecting a supported earpiece.
Record sound overtop of an existing audio file
You can plan an audio file and record from the microphone at the same time with the LG V20 audio recorder in Studio mode. Musicians may find this feature particularly useful for recording ideas on the go. Studio mode is also useful for recording commentary over an existing file.
- Enable Studio mode by launching the HD Audio Recorder from the Tools menu and choosing CUSTOM from the second screen.
- Connect a pair of headphones and tap the Music Note+ icon. From here, you can select an audio file to use as a background track.
- Tap the Red circle to record from the microphone. Tap the Black circle to stop recording and save the audio file.
Note: Sound monitoring is not supported while recording in Studio mode and the background track can only be heard through a set of earphones to prevent feedback.
Customize the Home touch buttons to quickly access to your favorite functions
You can rearrange and add custom buttons to the LG V20 Home touch area by navigating to Settings > Display > Home touch buttons > Button combination. From here, there are several functions to choose from such as QSlide, Notifications, and Capture+. You may choose a maximum of five items to be shown.
Turn the screen on or off by double-tapping
You can use the KnockON option to activate the main screen without using physical buttons. With the phone off, simply double-tap the middle of the screen to turn on the display. To turn it off, double-tap on an empty area on the home screen or status bar.
Bonus Tips: This feature is built into the default LG launcher, so don’t expect KnockON to work with a customer launcher. Be sure to use your fingertip when tapping the screen, a fingernail will not register. Also, be sure to keep the proximity/light sensor free from any obstructions, as it is necessary for KnockON to work properly.
Watch the video below for a demonstration of Knock On using the LG G2:
Unlock the screen by double tapping
Similar to turning the screen on and off with KnockON, you can unlock the screen by creating your own Knock Code. This will allow you to unlock the LG V20 by tapping areas of the screen in a specific sequence.
To create a knock code, tap the Circle home touch button and then navigate to Settings > Display > Lock screen > Select screen lock > Knock Code. You will be prompted to tap the squares on the screen in a pattern of your choice. Once set, you can unlock the screen by inputting the code you have just created whether the screen is turned on or off.
The video below shows a similar procedure performed on an LG G5:
Encrypt your memory card to protect your private data
You can encrypt the LG V20 memory card to prevent any data it contains from being accessed from another device. This will prevent someone from taking the card out of your device and putting it into a PC card reader or another cell phone.
Encrypting your LG V20 is extremely easy. To start, tap the circle home touch button and navigate to Settings > General > Fingerprints & security > Encrypt SD card. You will be presented with an overview of how memory card encryption works, choose continue to configure the following options:
- New data encryption – This option will only encrypt the data stored on the memory card after encryption, meaning any data from this point forward.
- Full encryption – Choose this option if you want to encrypt everything currently stored on the memory card.
- Exclude media files – Use this to encrypt all files on the memory card except for media files such as music, photos, and videos. This makes it possible to share media file between devices while keeping other sensitive files private.
Bonus encryption tips: You can only encrypt your data if screen lock is set to use a PIN or password. You can activate encryption even if no memory card is installed. Data will be encrypted on any memory card installed in the future.
Important: There is a high risk of data loss if the device is turned off during the encryption process. Be sure to check that the battery is at least 50% charged before starting encryption.
Split the keyboard to text more comfortably in landscape mode
With Split keyboard, you can merge or split the keyboard in landscape mode by pinching or spreading your fingers apart on the keyboard. Each half of the keyboard will be placed on either side of the screen, making it easier to access the keys near the middle of the keyboard without stretching.
To enable this option, navigate to Settings > General > Language & keyboard > LG Keyboard > Keyboard height and layout > Split keyboard. You can also touch and hold the microphone icon on the keyboard and then tap the Gear icon > Keyboard height and layout > Split keyboard.
Easily use the keyboard with one hand
One-handed operation mode makes it easy to use type with one hand by letting you move the keyboard to one side of the screen. To enable this function, navigate to Settings > General > Language & keyboard > LG Keyboard > Keyboard height and layout > One-handed operation. Once turned on, simply press the arrow displayed next to the keyboard to move it to the side of your choice.
Bonus Tip: It’s also possible to touch and hold the keyboard microphone icon and tap Settings > Keyboard height and layout > One-handed operation.